Friday, July 8, 2011

SUYL: Side Dish Recipes

Happy Friday, y'all! I'm a huge fan of scrumptious side dishes, so I'm excited to share some of my favorites today!

The first is one of my favorite mashed potato recipes (I have many) which I made for Thanksgiving last year. They're creamy and flavorful and absolutely divine, and I guarantee they'll be a hit! :)

Smoked Gouda Mashed Potatoes


Ingredients
3 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled and cubed (I'd try and find the golden potatoes... so creamy!)
6 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 cup heavy cream, plus more if needed
3/4 pound shredded smoked Gouda
Salt and freshly ground white pepper (I made do with black pepper)

Directions
Place potatoes and 1 teaspoon of salt in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a boil and cook over medium heat until fork tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Drain.
Return the potatoes to the saucepan and add the butter, cream, and cheese. Mash the potatoes, stirring to incorporate the seasonings. Season with salt and freshly ground white pepper. Serve warm and enjoy! :)

The second recipe is one I made up myself, and I'll tell you, at the risk of tooting my own horn, it's simple but delicious. :)


Sauteed Corn

Ingredients
2-3 ears of corn, husks and silk removed
1 T. olive oil
1 T. butter
1-2 cloves garlic, minced (use one medium clove for 2 ears, and use two small-ish for three ears)
salt and pepper

Directions
Slice the kernels off the corn. (It's kind of tricky if you try to do it over a cutting board because the corn flies everywhere. I just held it over a bowl and sliced from the middle of the cob downward four or five times, all the way around. Then I flipped it over and did the same thing to the other end.)

Heat the olive oil and garlic in a medium sautee pan on medium to medium-high heat.

Add the garlic to the oil and sautee until garlic becomes fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Make sure it doesn't burn.

Add the corn, season with salt and pepper, and sautee for 5 minutes or so until corn is tender and becoming golden-brown.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...