Friday, January 8, 2010

"Discover the Champion In You..."

Has anyone else seen this slogan in Joel Osteen's commercials or books?

It makes me want to scream with frustration.

I'm not Joel Osteen's bigggest fan anyway.  I've seen a few of his sermons on TV, and I felt that he was too "commercialized" to be very effective at bringing non-believers into a genuine relationship with the Lord.  There was very little actual breakdown of scripture, and it felt more like a motivational speech than a sermon.

But discover the champion in you??  That's almost more than I can bear.

Christianity is about dying to self and rising again in Christ.  It's about realizing that we aren't champions - we are sinners who are in desperate need of salvation.  And that Christ is our champion.  He died on the cross because we were inadequate to save ourselves.

I just feel like Joel Osteen's motto places the focus on us and our "goodness" instead of Christ and His goodness.  And unless we, as believers, rely solely upon the Lord to guide and provide, we will be sorely disappointed in our own shortcomings.

That's me on my soapbox.  I'll hop off now. :)


1 comment:

Amy said...

Thank you for this! I think the EXACT same thing every time I see one of the commercials for Lakewood -- and it also really gets me that JOEL is plastered on the outside of the building...not a fan!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...