Sunday, August 22, 2010

Happy birthday to me!


So I turned 25 years old today. It seems so surreal, and I keep wondering when I went from being an awkward, precocious ten year-old girl to a 25 year-old adult with a law degree. It almost feels like time travel or something.

And when I woke up this morning my nerdy science brain thought about the fact that twenty five years is a quarter of a century. That's half of half of a century. And, technically, you can round up at a half, so I might as well be fifty. And, well, fifty... that's half of 100. And if we round that one up, I'm at 100 and can practically feel my hair turning gray.

But, if I'm being honest, there's a part of me that can't wait to be old. I know it's strange, but I just have these visions of me and Micah, sitting on a wraparound porch in matching rocking chairs, watching the sunset together and holding hands.

But enough with the old folk talk. :)

We did keep it pretty low-key around here today, but the day was still fairly eventful. Here are a few of the highlights.

1. My handsome husband got up early to make me breakfast and blow up balloons. As I walked into the dining room and saw the kitchen table, I almost fell over laughing.

Apparently Micah just grabbed the first package of pink balloons he could find and didn't bother reading the words printed on them. But as my friend pointed out, he wasn't totally off base, as we were celebrating the day I was born, and I am a girl... :)


2. After church, I turn on my phone and see a voicemail from my brother.

"I can't believe you haven't called to wish me a happy half-birthday yet," he says. (We were born exactly 2 1/2 years apart.) Isn't he so charming? :)

3. When we get home from church, we whipped up a quick lunch, and as we're sitting down to eat I say to Micah "I can't believe I'm twenty-five."

"Well, you are," Micah replies.

"But I don't feel twenty-five," I say.

"Well, you look twenty-five," he says.

I'm still not sure how I feel about that.


4. I saved the best thing for last! My step-brother and Dana had their little boy today! His name is Deegan, and he's just about the cutest thing you ever saw!


I'm so happy that I get to share my birthday with such an adorable little man! And when he's all grown up and celebrating his twenty-fifth birthday like I am today, I'll be... oh my goodness let's just save that math for another day, shall we?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...