Saturday, November 27, 2010

Thanksgiving food...

Well, we're finally rested up from Thanksgiving and about ready to start decorating for Christmas. But before I move on to the next holiday, I thought I'd post a little about the dishes we made for Thanksgiving. Everything everyone made was WONDERFUL, and I'll go ahead and share some of the recipes with you. :)

Appetizer
For a pre-meal snack, I made Micah's mom's spinach dip recipe. It's so delicious, and super easy. Plus, you can make it the night before, and it's ready to go the next day. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients: one 10 oz. box frozen spinach, 8 oz. sour cream, 8 oz. cream cheese (softened), one package Knorr vegetable mix, dash onion powder

Directions: Thaw spinach and drain. Mix all ingredients together. Refrigerate for at least an hour. Serve with crackers.

Meat
For the meat, we deep-fried a turkey and two chickens. Micah had never used a turkey fryer before, but everything was delicious. If you haven't tried fried turkey yet, you really should. It's incredibly moist and has a great flavor if you use a good injectable marinade. Just be careful with the oil, and don't set your house on fire! :)

Potatoes
I made smoked gouda mashed potatoes, and they were really yummy. The smokey flavor was really different, and I used Yukon Gold potatoes, which made them super creamy. If you're interested, I got the recipe here.

My sister-in-law also made some DELICIOUS cheesy potatoes. If you want the recipe, leave a comment, and I'll make sure to get it from her.

Cranberry Sauce
I made a Pioneer Woman recipe, and it was delicious. The only issue was that it wasn't super thick, so if you like that kind of thing, this recipe isn't for you. But the pomegranate juice gives it a really great flavor, and I really enjoyed it. You can get it here. (I added a bit more sugar, but you may not like it as sweet as I do.)

Creamed Spinach
This recipe was kind of a disaster. It's actually a GREAT recipe, and I've made it several times before and loved it. But it's NOT a good recipe for Thanksgiving because you have to really watch the cream to make sure it doesn't boil over. Also, you have to wring out a LOT of spinach, which can take awhile, and it's not something you can do ahead of time.

But you really should try the recipe at some point. It's easy and scrumptious (just make sure and add plenty of salt!). Go get it here. (And if you want to save some time, don't bother with the tomato and blue cheese. It's really just for presentation. Instead, just make the spinach as directed and top with freshly grated Parmesan cheese.)

Dressing
I tried my Mamaw's tried and true cornbread dressing recipe for the first time, and I actually think I did it pretty well! It may have been just a teensy bit too moist, but I was just happy it wasn't dried out. :) Leave a comment if you'd like the recipe, and I'll send it your way.

Gravy
I didn't actually get around to making the gravy because I ran out of time, but I had planned on making this recipe, and I'll definitely be making it at some point.

Dessert
I didn't make dessert because everyone else was bringing something, but I absolutely must share the Peanut Butter Pie recipe Faith made. It was rich and creamy and not too peanut butter-y. Go check it out here, and make it at your earliest convenience. :) If you don't like the Oreo crust, I think it'd be just as yummy with a graham cracker crust.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...