Sunday, January 2, 2011

Hey there, 2011...

New Year's Eve is definitely not one of my favorite holidays. It's not that I dislike it; it's just that I'm usually still reeling from Christmas, and I'm not much of a drinker. So Micah and I generally just celebrate in a fairly quiet way. This year, my BFF and her husband came over, and we grilled steaks and watched Law Abiding Citizen, which I loved. They left at 9:30, and Micah and I were in bed by 10:15. Call me an old lady all you want - I felt wonderful on Saturday morning. :)

So although I don't really buy into the New Year's Eve hype, I did decide to make a few resolutions this year. My life is busy, but I want to make sure that I make time for the important things. Especially my relationship with the Lord. As a Christian, I believe that I am called to glorify God in all that I do. So when I neglect that purpose, I feel so off-balanced. So here's a list of all of the things that I want to do this year. It seems like a lot, but they're all things I should be doing anyway.

  1. Get more involved at FBC Sunnyvale. We're going almost every week now, and we really love it, but I really want to get plugged in. I want to find a group of people that I can learn and grow in the Lord with. Hopefully Micah and I can find a Sunday School class that we like fairly soon.
  2. Memorize a different Bible verse each week. I've always believed that committing Scripture to memory is important, but I don't do it consistently. I'm planning on making a cute memory verse board that we can hang up somewhere in the kitchen so we'll notice. We're starting with an easy one this week: Genesis 1:1. I figure I need a boost of confidence so I'll keep going with it.
  3. Read my Seasonal Bible and stay caught up each week.
  4. Pray with Micah as many nights as possible.
  5. Pray intently for a different person each month. We try to pray for our friends and family consistently, but I'm definitely not very good at it. So Micah and I are both picking a different friend/family member each month to pray for. Lauren, I'm starting with you!
  6. Work out at least twice a week. Sounds easy, but I know it won't be.
  7. Meet more people at work. I'm still getting to know everyone at work, and I'm trying to come out of my shell a bit more. It probably seems like this would be an easy thing for me, but it definitely isn't.
  8. Take off my makeup each night. I know how lame this sounds, but we just bought new white sheets to go with our new duvet cover (pictures soon, I promise!), and I don't want to ruin them with my waterproof mascara! :)
  9. Get rid of bad habits. I bite my lip in a very Bella/Kristen Stewart-ish way when I'm nervous, I pick at my fingernails, I leave cabinet doors open, etc. All silly things, but all things I'd like to stop doing.
  10. Get my diplomas framed. Lamest thing of all, but it has now been seven months since I graduated law school, and I STILL don't have my diploma framed. My office is embarassingly bare, so I want to put things on the walls and shelves.
And let me be clear. I don't post these goals out of any sort of pride. I'm not looking for any "way to go for making that ambitious goal!" kinds of affirmations. What I'm really looking for is accountability. I figure that the people who read this blog are mostly people who love me enough to ask me if I'm sticking to my goals, and I'm counting on you to hold me accountable. So the next time you see me, ask me know far along I am in my Seasonal Bible. I hope I can give you good news. :)

(P.S. Micah and I also celebrated our 2-year anniversary last Monday, and I forgot to write about it! Hopefully I'll remember to share about it this week!)

2 comments:

The Links said...

I totally agree with the not loving New Year's Eve. I always feel like I need to get out and do something, but I would much rather spend the evening in with my hubby. That is just what we have done the past 4 years too!!

And I should add number 8 to my list of resolutions. I'm terrible at taking my make-up off at night.

Unknown said...

We LOVE the music minister, Michael and his wife, Deborah Bridges. They bless us with worship at all our marriage conferences each summer. Happy New Year, Mrs. Hargrave!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...