Monday, February 14, 2011

Returning...

Have I ever written about how much I love the story of the prodigal son (Luke 15:11-32)? I'm honestly tearing up right now just typing these words. If you haven't ever read it, I encourage you to click here and take a quick read - it's not long, I promise.

The thing that gets me every time I read this story is the fact that the father, after suffering the betrayal of his beloved son and seeing him again after such a long time, just cannot wait to welcome him home. He doesn't let him finish his humbling journey and say "I told you so." He doesn't ask about all the money he squandered. He doesn't let his pride take over or give his son the punishment he deserves. Instead, he sees his son, who is still quite a distance away, and runs to him to embrace him. He prepares a feast and clothes his son in his finest robes, and rejoices in his return.

And the most incredible part is that his son, after losing all of his father's money and being reduced to eating and sleeping with the pigs, would have been satisfied to simply return home as one of his father's servants. He was prepared to grovel and beg, but before he could say a single word, his father bestowed an incredible gift of mercy and grace.


And isn't it just like God to blow us away with His grace? Isn't it just like Him to take our hopes and dreams and visions and give them back to us ten-fold? Even when we've taken His blessings and squandered them, He runs up the hill and welcomes us home, time and time again.

2 comments:

Jen said...

Beautiful! Yes, His unconditional LOVE is truly amazing!! I needed this reminder today!! Thank you for sharing!!

Ryan said...

Thanks, Jen! God is definitely good. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...