Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Two for one...

{I shared this recipe in a guest post over at Established: 2008 a few weeks ago, and I wanted to post it here in case any of you missed it.  I've made this dressing at least three times now, and I'm absolutely in love with it.  Hope you guys enjoy!}
So, although I hate to admit it, I feel like I have to tell you that I harbor an unadulterated, unforgiving hatred of... bottled salad dressing.

It all tastes plastic and devoid of flavor to me.  It's something I'm working on, but until then, I'm going to have to stick to homemade.  ;)  Thankfully, there are tons of quick and easy dressing recipes for any of you who also suffer from this affliction.

One of my favorites is this Creamy BBQ Dressing which, coincidentally, is fabulous on top of BBQ chicken salad.

BBQ Chicken Salad with Creamy BBQ Dressing
(recipe adapted from here)


Ingredients

BBQ Chicken Salad
1 cooked rotisserie chicken, de-boned and shredded (the original recipe actually calls for you to marinate and grill your chicken, but this girl doesn't have time for all that)
1/2 to 3/4 c. BBQ sauce (I used KC Masterpiece Hickory Brown Sugar)
3 hearts of romaine lettuce, chopped
1/4 to 1/2 can of Mexicorn, drained
5-6 green onions, chopped
1 c. shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 c. tortilla chips, crushed into pieces

Creamy BBQ Dressing:
1 c. mayonnaise
1/3 cup milk
1/3 buttermilk
2 T. fresh cilantro, finely chopped
1 T. lime juice
1 t. white vinegar
1 t. granulated sugar
1 garlic clove, finely minced
1/2 t. salt
1/8 t. cayenne pepper
1/8 t. black pepper
1/4 t. cumin
1/4 to 1/2 c. BBQ sauce (I used KC Masterpiece Hickory Brown Sugar)

Instructions
For the dressing, combine all ingredients together and whisk vigorously to combine.  You could also run this through a blender or food processor to make it more smooth.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.

For the chicken, take 1 1/2 c. of shredded chicken and add 1/2 to 3/4 c. BBQ sauce (depending on how saucy you like it). Microwave in increments of 30 seconds until warm.

For the salad, in a large serving bowl, toss romaine with corn and green onions.  Top with shredded cheese, tortilla chips, and warm BBQ chicken.  Serve with Creamy BBQ dressing and faint from yum.

Y'all, this stuff is good.  The dressing is the perfect combination of tangy, sweet, cilantro-y goodness, and the salad, itself is the perfect combination for summer.

But the best part about this recipe is that it makes for an easy two-for-one meal.  You'll have a ton of chicken left over after you use a couple of cups for the salad.  Mix some more of it up the next day with even more BBQ dressing, throw it on a tortilla with some more shredded cheese and sliced green onions, and have yourself a delicious BBQ Chicken Quesadilla.


Take it to the next level and dip it in the Creamy BBQ dressing, and then faint, again, from yum.  If you're like me, you'll enjoy it with a side of Israeli melon (which I gushed about here - think extra-sweet, extra-juicy cantaloupe.  So, basically heaven.).

So if you've never taken the plunge into the land of non-bottled dressing, this recipe is fabulously easy and delicious one to start with!

7 comments:

Amber K said...

Ahh i still can't find israeli melon! haha. It's all I can think about when at the farmers market ;) That recipe looks delicious!

Jennifer Goodin said...

yummy! That looks like it could be a jim n nicks salad!

Charlotte said...

I'm really looking forward to trying this. My hubby has been asking for more salads but only ever wants a basic Caesar. I think he would LOVE this one (me too!). Also, I'm a little behind on my blog reading since we moved but I think I read that you just had a b'day or are about to have a b'day? Either way, Happy Birthday!

Sugarr2518 said...

That salad looks delish! I will definitely have to try it:)

Kristin said...

I still have this dressing recipe bookmarked. I plan on making it. I REALLY do, because it looks so good! But I don't even have the gumption to cook for myself these days. I made barbecued chicken in the crockpot last week. Ate 1/8 of it and threw the rest away because the leftovers sat in the fridge for 4 days. (I probably already told you this, but there is only ONE bottled dressing I'll eat. Ken's Honey Mustard. I dip french fries in it :)

The Morrows said...

Whoa- cant wait to try!

Erin Branscom said...

That looks so yummy! Thanks for reposting!! :) I love your blog! Erin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...