Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Just a few words of wisdom... not mine

Earlier this summer, my stepmom recommended that I read Home to Holly Springs by Jan Karon. With work and moving back to Dallas, I didn't get around to it until last week. But I'm SOOO glad I finally read it.

It's a very moving story about a preacher's journey home after he'd been away for 38 years. I definitely recommend it. But I really wanted to just post a few quotes from the book that stuck out at me and made me think.

First, a quote from Dwight Moody.
"Character is what you are in the dark."
Isn't that clever? I mean, it's SO easy to be good when everyone's watching. It's much harder to do the right thing when no one is there to give you credit for your good decisions or to condemn you for your bad ones. Just something to think about

Second, a very eloquent way of looking at the existence of God.
"Let us weigh the gain and the loss, wagering that God is. Consider these alternatives--if you win, you win all. If you lose, you lose nothing. Do not hesitate, then, to wager that he is."
I love that. I have every faith that there is a loving God who died for me on a cross and whose grace allows me to live a full and satisfying life. But, even if there isn't, I've lost nothing by making my life one of peace and love and forgiveness. And those who don't believe are risking eternal life. I'd bet on my odds over theirs any day.

Lastly, a numerical representation of the wonder of love.
"There are no words to express the abyss between isolation and having one ally. It may be conceded to the mathematician that four is twice two. But two is not twice one; two is two thousand times one."
This is SO SO SO true. My life is two thousand times better with Micah in it than it would be without him.

Hope you guys are having a great week, and God bless. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...