Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Today...

... is one of those days where I just miss home.  (I told you all about my sweet little hometown here.)

I miss my wonderful mom.  If I were home right now, she would cook up something DELICIOUS if I stopped by her house.  She'd listen to me go on and on about myself without caring how self-centered I sounded because she is actually interested in the minute details of my life.  She'd tell me the truth, like she always does.  I love that about her.

I miss my sweet, loving dad, who would take me out to Jalepeno Tree, one of my all-time favorite Mexican restaurants. He would encourage me to keep trucking with school.  He'd help me see the light at the end of the tunnel, and he'd make me laugh about a billion times.  My dad is really funny. :)

I miss my favorite girls, Lauren, Faith, and Rebecca.

If I were home, Lauren would let me curl up on her couch, and we'd talk and talk for hours.  Maybe about nothing.  Maybe about everything.  I'd feel like I was at home, because we've been friends for so long that she IS home to me.  I'd get to feel Miss Emerson kick (maybe!), and we'd talk about how excited we are that she's having a girl.

I'd probably see Faith a billion times because we're family now - something I love SO much.  We'd visit and chit-chat and talk about what a saint she is for putting up with my brother.  I'd marvel at her cuteness and her beautiful home, which I love being in because she's made it so cozy and comfortable.  We'd reminisce about old times and maybe do a bit of gossiping, because for some reason when I gossip with Faith it doesn't feel so wrong.

I would definitely make a trip to Dallas to see Rebecca.  And we'd pick up right where we left off last, because no matter how long it has been since I've seen or talked to her, we just seem to fit. She gets me, and I get her, and I just love that.  Plus, we were roommates.  That just adds an extra layer of comfort to the relationship - she has seen me at my worst, and she still loves me anyway.

And I know you couldn't possibly believe me, but I also miss my crazy big brother.  I'd see him sometime while I was there, and even though he'd pretend like I was driving him crazy, he'd actually be glad to see me.  He likes picking on me.  (And I secretly like it back.)  He's my hero.  In my head, he does no wrong (even though I have to tell him he does because I'm his sensible sister).

I miss my aunts and grandmas and grandpa and cousins.  My extended family that doesn't feel so extended.  I'd make my way to Josephine and feel the stress lift off as I drove through miles of nothingness.  I'd hopefully get to see them all, although it isn't always possible when I'm only in town for a few days.  But this is my daydream, and in daydreams, you get what you want.  Maybe I'd even talk one of them into taking me to get a CB's hamburger.  Just maybe.  I'd even make it out to Cooper and visit with my Mimi.  We always have such wonderful conversation.

But I'm not there.  I'm here.  I'm actually supposed to be reading for my 2:30 class.  But I'm pretty sure I'll be dreaming about that CB's hamburger instead. :)

1 comment:

Aunt Brig said...

Love you very much-- I remember being so homesick for my family when we were in Lubbock and talking on the phone to home would not help. That feeling seems to hit at odd times. Be thankful you have something to be homesick for. Think of all the people out there that do not have what we have and those that disconnect with people on purpose.
Hang in there -- go study or get a diet coke!
This Aunt would be happy to buy you a CB's burger!
Love ya Aunt Brigitte

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...