Monday, June 7, 2010

Music memories...


 If you know me, you probably know that I love music.  And I don't pretend to have super-sophisticated taste, either.  I'll jam out to just about anything.  

My husband, who is in most other respects pretty darn perfect, just doesn't share my enthusiasm.  It's not that he hates music, it's just that it doesn't seem to affect him the way it affects me.

So I was thinking about WHY music matters so much to me, and I think I figured it out.  My brain makes associations very quickly, particularly with sounds, so when I hear something while doing something else, it's like my brain creates a time stamp.  And hearing the sound again, some time in the future, just transports me back to that moment in time.  It's like a time machine, operated by a jukebox. :)

So, here are a list of songs that I may or may not love, and the moment in time I associate with them.  Not that this is even slightly interesting.  I'm so weird.

Criminal by Fiona Apple:  I'm at a childhood friend's house, and she puts this tape in her boom box, and I'm wondering why she's so much cooler than me. (Probably because she doesn't write blogs like this one.)

Wonderwall by Oasis:  I'm with my fifth-grade boyfriend at some place that looks, in my mind, to be a bar (but it couldn't POSSIBLY be a bar, could it?).  We're holding hands.

There's Your Trouble by the Dixie Chicks:  It's the summer before my freshman year in high school. I'm at cheer camp, and Lauren and I are sitting on my bed, sharing the headphones of her Walkman, jamming out and thinking about boys.

I Think I'm In Love With You by Jessica Simpson:  I'm a sophomore in high school, on the bus with the rest of the varsity cheerleaders.  I'm putting glitter gel on every inch of my body.

Trouble by Coldplay:  I'm driving around in my car, brokenhearted because I've broken someone else's heart.

World Spins Madly On by The Weepies:   I'm sitting in a pew, crying for the loss of an incredible woman.

Your Love by The Outfield:  My brother is home on leave from the Navy, and I've followed him to yet another bar.  This song comes on, and we all start singing at the top of our lungs.

At Last by Etta James:  I am walking down the aisle with my brand new husband, unaware that there is anyone else on the planet, wondering how I got so lucky.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...