Saturday, February 5, 2011

Black Heels to Tractor Wheels

I think my love for Ree Drummond (a.k.a. The Pioneer Woman) has been well-documented here. I love her recipes, I love her photography, and I love her witty writing.

So it probably won't come as a surprise that I LOVE her new book, Black Heels to Tractor Wheels! I pre-ordered it, and it was delivered a few days ago (yes, even in the ice!). I finished it the night I got it. :)

I didn't read the entire thing, though, because the first 2/3 of the book is actually on her website. When she first started blogging, she posted the story of how she met her husband in a smoky bar on a pit stop in her hometown before she moved to Chicago to go to law school. As fate would have it, they fell in love and she wound up becoming the wife of a cattle rancher instead of a lawyer. She wrote the story in segments, and when I first stumbled upon her blog, I started reading the story and couldn't make myself stop! Her book includes the story from her website PLUS the first year of their marriage.

Anyway, I wanted to tell you all to go out and pick up a copy because it's a wonderful story and very easy to read (or you can order it from Amazon here). But the book also got me thinking (surprise, surprise) on another level.

One of my favorite things about the book (and Ree, in general), is how insanely in love with her husband she is. They've been married for years and have four kids, but the sight of her husband in chaps still makes ger giddy. She's not one of those women who let having kids make her forget about her insane love for her husband. That's something that is incredibly important to me. I do want kids someday, but I don't ever want to forget about how much I love being with Micah. I don't want to let the hustle and bustle of raising kids (which I know I'll love) come at the expense of my relationship with the love of my life. I think it's a tough thing to do, but I hope I can be half as good as Ree is about remembering how incredible (and insanely handsome) my husband is. :)


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...