Friday, November 4, 2011

Fun Fact Friday...


 I kind of have a thing for grammar and punctuation. It's not that I'm always perfect (I'm definitely not), but when I do catch myself making mistakes it drives me sort of insane. And one of my biggest pet peeves is incorrect usage of punctuation with quotation marks. Just in case you're curious, here are the rules.

You always place commas and periods inside the quotation mark, even if whatever you're quoting didn't originally have a period or comma.
Correct: "My husband, Micah, is the most handsome man on the planet," she said.
Incorrect: "My husband, Micah, is the most handsome man on the planet", she said.

For other terminal punctuation marks, place them inside the quotation mark only if they're part of the original material.
Correct: "Where," she asked, "is the beef?"
Incorrect: "Where," she asked, "is the beef"?
Correct: Who first said "living is loving"?
Incorrect: "Who first said "living is loving?"

Clear as mud?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...