Monday, December 29, 2014

Whole30: Recipe Roundup

I had donuts for breakfast yesterday morning. And then dessert with dinner last night. 

Y'all, I NEED this Whole30 in a bad way.

The great thing is that, because I've done one before, I know what to expect, and I know that I'm capable of finishing. If this is your first Whole30, let me just put your mind at ease: you are also capable of doing it and finishing it. If you slip up, don't give up. Just keep going, and I promise you won't regret it.

I've been promising to get you guys a list of my go-to, Whole30-approved recipes for months, and I'm finally delivering. I'll do one more tips and tricks post, and then I think we'll be ready to go for Thursday. Eeek!

We mostly make these for dinner and then I take the leftovers for lunch at work. A lot of people have asked what I do about Micah and Grace. Mostly, they eat what I eat, even if I have to modify it a bit. Grace is picky about vegetables, so I usually supplement her meal with some organic yogurt, cheese, or fruit. But some nights, Micah's not in the mood to eat the healthy stuff, so he makes himself a hot dog or grilled cheese. Ain't no shame in letting the husbands/kids fend for themselves sometimes, y'all.

And also? Make extras. If you're lazy like me, you'll appreciate being able to cook once and have meals for a few days. :) 

Main-Dish Recipes I've Tried and Loved:
Beef and Bacon Casserole (this one is one of my very favorites and makes a lot, but it's time-consuming)
Chicken Curry (recipe found in It Starts with Food, similar here)
Beef and Broccoli Stir Fry (this one was pretty good, not amazing)
Roasted Cauliflower Soup (recipe found in The Paleo Kitchen is PHENOMENAL, similar here)
Turkey burgers with sauteed sweet potatoes and mango or strawberry-mango salsa
"Tacos" with homemade taco seasoning and guacamole in iceberg or romaine lettuce wraps
Cilantro and Lime Salmon (use olive or coconut oil to make it Whole30 approved)
Grilled steaks, baked potatoes, and roasted asparagus
"Fried" Cauliflower Rice (add chicken to create a main dish, or serve alone as a side dish)
Avocado and Tomato Salad (great, simple, and easy side dish) 
Chicken Salad (recipe below)

Recipes I've Been Wanting to Try

Chicken Salad
1/2 lb. chicken | 1 cup grapes, halved | 1/2 cup onion, diced | 1/4 cup slivered almonds (optional) | 3 T. flat-leaf Italian parsley | 1 T. fresh or freeze-dried dill (don't leave this out!!) | 1/2 to 3/4 cup olive oil mayo | 3-4 dashes hot sauce (I like Lousiana Hot Sauce) | salt and pepper to taste | Mix everything together and stir to combine. If you have time, let it chill in the fridge for 30 minutes or more. The longer it sits, the better it tastes!

Have you done a Whole30? What were your favorite recipes?

2 comments:

Joey Hodges said...

We're probably not doing the whole 30 (just keeping it real) BUT I will be trying out a lot of these recipes!! Ain't no shame in a good old fashioned healthy yummy meal! <3 Thanks for sharing!

Lauren Thomas said...

Yay for recipes! I am totally expecting this to be challenging, but I refuse to call it "hard". My favorite quote from the book was "fighting cancer is hard. losing a parent is hard. changing your eating habits is not hard." Having lost my mom and a few other disasters in my life, I know I can do hard things, so why should I let a change in eating habits scare me?! Let's do this!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...