Monday, March 23, 2009

So tired...

Apparently 95% of all dogs that get adopted from the SPCA end up having some kind of health problem. Silly me. I just thought I was doing something great by adopting a puppy who needed a home and didn't even think about how poorly pets are taken care of at shelters. And, of course, Lilly's sick.

She didn't eat much last night, but I thought she might just be tired so I didn't worry much. Then this moring (5:00 to be exact), I woke up and she was throwing up. Poor baby. Her stomach kept making these weird gurgling noises, and it was clear she didn't feel well at all. She wouldn't eat or drink. Stupid internet had me CONVINCED it was parvo (which is ridiculously fatal for puppies). So I took her to the vet, and it was like they expected that she would be sick when I told her she was from the SPCA. I think we've ruled out parvo, but the vet wasn't sure why her tummy was so upset. I brought in a poopy sample (which was not fun to collect, by the way), and I should hear the results tomorrow.

The vet gave her a couple of pills and injected some fluids under her skin to rehydrate her (which made her look like a hunchback for a few hours), and she seems to be doing better. I can't express how horrified I was this morning when I thought she might die... seriously. I'm amazed at how attached I've become to this little girl in only three days! She really is the sweetest puppy ever. She loves to give mommy kisses (though she only nuzzles Daddy because she knows he doesn't like kisses on the face). And she's pretty chill for a Lab (althought that could have a lot to do with the fact that she may have some underlying illness that's kept her from feeling well), and she's learning so fast. No accidents in the house or her crate for a whole day!

I do have to share this adorable story, though. It's been so sweet to see Micah become attached to Lilly. He is pretty enamored, and he likes cuddling with her on the couch. So the other night, we decided that we'd cuddle with her in the bed while we watched Friends for a little while. So I brought her in the bedroom while Micah went and got the dvd. Right as he walks into the room with Lilly's stuffed duck in his hand, looking excited to play with and love on Lilly, the dog pees on the bed. His face just fell because he knew we'd have to put her outside and clean the bed and we wouldn't get our cuddle time... it was too adorable.

Anyway... keep my angel in your prayers. I don't know what I'd do without this precious face!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...