Sunday, October 3, 2010

Foreshadowing....

For some crazy reason, I couldn't stop thinking about my personal statement tonight as I tried to go to sleep. I wrote it during the admissions process for law school in 2006, and I haven't looked at it since then. I tossed and turned for about fifteen minutes or so, but then I finally dragged myself out of bed and came in here to my laptop and opened up the essay to read it. After cringing at several silly mistakes I never noticed before, I stopped to marvel at how funny it is that I ended up doing exactly what I thought I would when I decided to go to law school.

In my personal statement, after discussing my experiences in the chemistry lab at UTD, I wrote this: "I discovered that the prospect of making new things, of new ideas and technology, is exhilarating to me. I heard about patent law and intellectual property shortly after I finished making my molecule, and I fell in love with the idea of being in the midst of cutting edge technology and working with those who create it. I have had an amazing experience with chemistry, in general, but as much as I love it, I can't see myself in a lab for the rest of my life. I have learned to speak the language of scientists, and I know what it feels like to create something brand new, but now I want to learn to speak the language of the law. Hopefully one day I will be able to fuse the two languages together and begin a career doing something I love."

It's rare, but apparently life sometimes works out just the way you planned. :)

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...